... but who were the architects ?
|City||Earliest Yr||No. Street||Architect||Yr of Image||Type of Image||Source|
|London||1736||268 Whitechapel Rd / Fieldgate St||-||1805||plans||John Clark Powell - Whitechapel Estate - British Library Crace Collection portfolio 16 item 22|
|London||1759||Execution Dock, Wapping||-||1803||aquatint||Collage 31835||VIEW|
|London||1759||207 Upper Thames St||-||1828||pencil||Collage 4634||VIEW|
|London||1759||207 Upper Thames St||-||1830||engraving||Collage 4631||VIEW|
|London||1759||207 Upper Thames St||-||1880||etching||Collage 4628||VIEW|
|London||1759||207 Upper Thames St||-||1930||photograph||Collage 49580||VIEW|
|London||1763||Pennington St||-||1865||watercolour||Collage 20269||VIEW|
|London||1776||203 Upper Thames St||-||1828||pencil||Collage 4634||VIEW|
|London||1776||203 Upper Thames St||-||1830||engraving||Collage 4631||VIEW|
|London||1787||Offices of Phoenix Fire Office, Lombard St||Thomas Leverton||no image, yet||book ref.||Colvin 2008, pp.612-3|
|London||1789||Late Mr Maud's, next to Royalty Theatre, Well St (see Horwood 1790s)||-||c1817||engraving||V&A Blog - Guest||VIEW|
|London||1789||48 Wellclose Sq||-||1875||advertisement||Linda Whybrow||VIEW|
|London||1789||48-49 Wellclose Sq||-||1961||photograph||Collage 121575||VIEW|
|London||1789||48-49 Wellclose Sq||-||1961||photograph||Collage 121576||VIEW|
|London||1789||48-49 Wellclose Sq||-||1961||photograph||Collage 121577||VIEW|
|London||1789||48-49 Wellclose Sq||-||1961||photograph||Collage 121579||VIEW|
|London||1790||202 Upper Thames St||-||1880||etching||Collage 4628||VIEW|
|London||1790||202 Upper Thames St||-||1930||photograph||Collage 49580||VIEW|
|London||1794||Phoenix Fire Office Fire Engine House, Cockspur St||Thomas Leverton||1982||illustration||Things Phoenix 1782-1982, p.41|
|London||1794||Well St / 27 Wellclose Sq||Charles Dyson||c1851||plans & elevations||LMA MBO/PLANS/440, 441 and 442|
|London||1794||Well St / 27 Wellclose Sq||-||1911||photograph||Collage 121569||VIEW|
|London||1794||Well St / 27 Wellclose Sq||-||1911||photograph||Collage 121588||VIEW|
|London||1794||Well St / 27 Wellclose Sq||-||1913||printed photograph||The Small House, Peter Guillery, p.71|
|London||1794||Well St / 27 Wellclose Sq||-||1920||photograph||Collage 121628||VIEW|
|London||1794||Well St / 27 Wellclose Sq||-||1920||photograph||Collage 121630||VIEW|
|London||1797||St Mary St / Davenant St||-||1960-70||photograph||The East End in Colour, David Granick - TH LC14642|
|London||1797||St Mary St / Davenant St||-||2017||photograph & text||Derek Kendall / Survey of London - Whitechapel||VIEW|
|London||1798||Mulberry St, Commercial Rd||-||1820||watercolour||Collage 22131||VIEW|
|London||1798||Mulberry St, Commercial Rd||-||1820||watercolour||Collage 22130||VIEW|
|London||1799||Duncan St||-||1833||floor plan (lease)||TH P/CRV/8 (?)|
|London||1805||Phoenix Fire & Pelican Life Offices, Charing Cross||Joseph M Gandy||no image, yet||book ref.||Colvin 2008, p389|
|London||1808||Virginia St, Breezers Hill, Pennington St, Princes Sq, Denmark St||-||1808||aquatint||Collage 31837||VIEW|
|London||1823||27 Alie St||-||1856||floor plan||BRO 36772 Box 6||VIEW|
|London||1830||Bath Terrace, Back Lane||-||1908||photograph||TH P01554|
|London||1834||Dock St||-||1971||photograph||Collage 117590||VIEW|
|London||1834||Dock St||-||1973||photograph||Collage 281236||VIEW|
|London||1834||Dock St||-||1973||photograph||Collage 281225||VIEW|
|London||1834||Dock St||-||1973||photograph||Collage 281184||VIEW||London||c1838||Offices for Phoenix Fire Insurance Co, Lombard St||James Lansdown||c1838||no image, yet||Colvin 2008, p.599|
|London||1843||Sugarhouse Lane, Stratford||-||2002||photograph||Hugo Glendinning||VIEW|
|London||1843||Sugarhouse Lane, Stratford||-||-||printed photograph||Essex & Sugar, Frank Lewis, 1976|
|London||1851||78 Leman St||Charles Dyson||1851||lithograph||Collage 22763||VIEW|
|London||1873||Deal St, MENT||-||2017||photograph||Rightmove||VIEW|
|London||1878||Thames Refinery, Silvertown [Tate]||James Blake||1878-1981||photographs||T&L Our History||VIEW|
|London||1878||Thames Refinery, Silvertown [Tate]||James Blake||1878-1981||printed photographs||Sugar & All That, Hugill, 1978|
|London||1881||Plaistow Wharf, Silvertown [Lyle]||J & R Houston, built John Mowlem||1960||photograph||Sugar Girls||VIEW|
|London||1881||Plaistow Wharf, Silvertown [Lyle]||J & R Houston, built John Mowlem||1881-1960||printed photographs||The Plaistow Story, Lyle, 1960|
|Bristol||1612||St Peter's Hospital||-||post-1902||postcard||BM||VIEW|
|Bristol||1728||Lewins Mead||-||1994||photograph||English Heritage - NMR||VIEW|
|Bristol||1847||Counterslip||-||1873||newspaper||Illust. London News||VIEW|
|Bristol||1847||Counterslip||-||1879||floor plan||BRO 36772 Box 6||VIEW|
|Bristol||1847||Counterslip||-||?||photograph||Paul Townsend / Flickr||VIEW|
|Glasgow||1669||138 Gallowgate||-||1846||watercolour||Burrell Collection||VIEW|
|Glasgow||1789||Sugar Sampling Room at rear of Tontine, Trongate||James Craig||no image, yet||book ref.||Colvin 2008, p277|
|Glasgow||1852||59 Washington St||-||1965||photograph||Canmore SC 659153||VIEW|
|Greenock||1852||Drumfrocher Rd (Berryyards)||-||1890s?||photograph||McLean Museum & Art Gallery||VIEW|
|Greenock||1850s||Ker St (Glebe)||-||2012||photographs||Terry Robinson||VIEW|
|Greenock||1868||West Shaw St||-||abt 1970||photographs||Canmore||VIEW|
|Greenock||1875||Roxburgh St||-||photograph||Canmore SC 455028||VIEW|
|Greenock||1875||Roxburgh St||-||1930s?||photograph||McLean Museum & Art Gallery||VIEW|
|Greenock||1884||James Watt Dock Warehouses||Walter R Kinipple (?)||2007||photographs||Andrea Brown||VIEW|
|Greenock||1884||James Watt Dock Warehouses||Walter R Kinipple (?)||2014||photographs||Buildings at Risk||VIEW|
|Hull||1733||Lime St||-||1868||newspaper||Illus. London News||VIEW|
|Hull||1733||Lime St||-||1880 copy||full site, ground plan||East Riding Archives DDHE/34/6/4|
|Liverpool||1816||Matthew St [Brancker]||-||1843||ground plan||Liverpool Mercury||VIEW|
|Liverpool||1847||Vauxhall Rd [Fairrie]||-||?||photograph||Love Lane Lives||VIEW|
|Liverpool||1847||Vauxhall Rd [Fairrie]||-||1925||printed photograph||Sugar, G Fairrie, 1925|
|Liverpool||1872||Love Lane [Tate]||-||various||photographs||liverpoolpicturebook.com||VIEW|
|Liverpool||1872||Love Lane [Tate]||-||printed photographs||100yrs of Sugar Refining, Watson, 1973|
|Southampton||1743||The Friary||-||1930s||photographs (book)||Sug Ref in Southampton by Drake|
|Southampton||1743||The Friary||-||1970||floor plan (book)||Sug Ref in Southampton by Drake||VIEW|
|Stockton||1780||Quayside||-||1910||photograph||Picture Stockton Archive||VIEW|
|Whitehaven||1712||Duke St||-||1730s||painting(s)||Mathias Read's 'Bird's Eye View' - at both The Beacon Museum, Whitehaven and Wordsworth House, Cockermouth||VIEW|
|Whitehaven||1712||Duke St||-||undated||copper engraved print||R Parr - from Mathias Read painting - prints available on line, and as frontispiece of JV Beckett 'Coal & Tobacco'|
|York||1680||Skeldergate||-||1718||etching||Tancrad Robinson (YAT)||VIEW|
|?||-||-||-||1864||sketch (book)||Essay on Sugar by Rbt Niccol||VIEW|
|?||-||-||Duncan Stewart & Co Glasgow||1888||section drawing (book)||Sugar - Handbook by Lock & Newlands||VIEW|
|- to be continued|
Notes on Architects ...
* James Blake (1849-1919) ...
A Scot, an engineer, the son of the owner of Blake, Barclay & Co sugar machinery manufacturers, James Blake arrived in Liverpool in 1875 as Tate's Foreman Engineer at the Love Lane refinery. Soon after, Henry Tate purchased a derilict shipyard in Silvertown and sent Blake to report on it's use for the possible expansion of the business. Tate agreed with Blake's findings and told him to go and build a refinery within the year. It took 9 months and began production in 1878. "But there is no doubt that he did an excellent job of Thames Refinery and can be regarded as its architect."
* James Craig (1744-1795) ...
Born in Edinburgh, Craig claimed the winning design for the layout of the New Town of his home city, but although it was not built true to his plans, he had considerable input into the working out of the detail. He was also employed as a town planner in Glasgow, where the layout of streets in Blythswood and Meadowflatt appear to have been his, but not the architectural detail. (Colvin)
* Charles Dyson (c1800-1868) ...
Born c1800 Tottenham, Mdx (son of Charles & Elizabeth Dyson, All Hallows Tottenham. Sally, his sister, bpt 1796) (census and PRs)
* Joseph Michael Gandy (1771-1843) ...
A promising youngster, who then travelled in Italy having to return in a hurry in 1797 owing to his sponsor's bankuptcy and the advances of Napoleon's armies. He practised on his own, but initially found little work in either Liverpool or London, and with a large family finances were often difficult. Especially noted for his independent approach to architectural aesthetics. (Colvin)
* J & R Houston ...
(Nothing yet) Description of Lyle's refinery at Silvertown in The Grocer, 5 May 1883, copy published in The Plaistow Story, by Oliver Lyle, 1960, along with many early photographs.
* Walter Robert Kinipple (1832-1901) ...
Born 1832 St Anne Limehouse, London, s/o George Topliff Kinipple, shipwright & Elizabeth Sarah his wife (PRs)
* James Lansdown (1796-1838) ...
Involved with works around Regent's Park, close to were he lived. Shortly before he died he designed offices for Phoenix Fire Insurance Co in Lombard Street. (Colvin)
* Thomas Leverton (1743-1824) ...
The great London sugar houses of the 18th and early to mid-19th centuries intrigue architectural historians as only two have been ascribed to an architect - a Charles Dyson of The Grove, Stratford, Essex, about whom very little is known. Dyson operated in the middle of the 19th century and designed the vast sugar house which stood in an expansive yard on the east side of Leman Street behind No. 78, as well as an extension to a sugar house on Well Street behind the west side of Wellclose Square, St Geo East. [see above]
[Portriat of Thomas Leverton, Phoenix Surveyor, by John Russell RA - Phoenix Assurance and the Development of British Insurance, Vol 1, by Clive Trebilcock, p.116.]
* Duncan Stewart & Co, Glasgow ...
Sugar machinery manufacturers established in 1840 by Peter Stewart in Anderston, Glasgow. Joined by his son Duncan, and in 1864 moved to larger premises at London Road Ironworks in Bridgeton. Became a limited company in 1891, liquidated in both 1902 and 1920s, restructured, etc, acquired by Booker Bros 1956.
1871 Introduced hydraulic pressure cylinders for sugar cane mills.