1712-26 BARWISE Richard
1726-60s> GILPIN William & John
<1817-26 JOHNSON & MANLEY
1826-31> JOHNSON Edward & Co
CLICK the for sugar houses in that street.
(For local directory of sugar houses, click here.)
(For national directory of sugar houses, click here.)
Quote - "The town has a large number of ships and a large trade with America,
In 1712 a sugarhouse was erected at the harbour end of Duke Street. (1)
"Sir James Lowther persuaded a Mr Barwise to set up a sugarhouse in Whitehaven in 1712, to refine small amounts for local consumption. Lowther's motives were far from disinterested for he sold coal to Barwise. The boiler continued in operation until 1726 when Barwise moved to Workington. It was then taken over by William & John Gilpin, the former a son and the latter a son or brother of Lowther's former steward. Sugar boiling continued thereafter, although the evidence is sparse and Lowther's accounts do not specifically record sales of coal to the works. The sugarhouse is depicted on several views of Whitehaven drawn during the 1730s (see frontispiece). It's management still seems to have been in the hands of the Gilpins early in the 1740s. Two ships entered at Whitehaven with sugar for William Gilpin & Co, and another vessel in 1741." (2)
In the early 1750s, Angerstein found that sugar was being refined in the town by a Hamburg refiner, though as yet there's no indication of his name. (3)
Records point to these men having worked at the Duke St sugarhouse ...
The sugarhouse in Catherine St appears to have been started by Edward Johnston & Thomas Manley early in the 19th century, however the company went bankrupt in 1826. Edward Johnston jun tried to continue the trade there, but the business closed in the early 1830s. The sugarhouse was demolished and made way for a 1000 seat Wesleyan chapel built in 1836. (6)
Records point to these men having worked at the Catherine St sugarhouse ...
1. RCHME - Whitehaven 1660-1800