Shared Parenting Information Group (SPIG) UK
- promoting responsible shared parenting after separation and divorce -
Christmas Pudding Ice Cream
Celebrate Christmas in style with SPIG's gourmet recipe
8 oz large stoned prunes - ready to eat
3/4 pt unsweetened orange juice
1/2 pt whipping cream
4 tbsp brandy
5 egg yolks
2 oz caster sugar
2 oz flaked almonds - lightly toasted
* 4 oz sultanas
* 2 oz glace cherries - rough chopped
* 1 oz mixed peel
* 3 oz crushed pineapple - unsweetened
* 2 oz marrons glace - rough chopped
or muscatel raisins
** 14 oz single cream
** 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
** 1/2 tsp ground allspice
To serve: put bowl in hot water for 2 seconds, place a plate on top, invert all and remove the bowl.
- Soak prunes in orange juice for 3-4 hours.
- At same time, soak the * items in brandy.
- Drain prunes, reserving 4 oz of the liquid
- Blend prunes in food processor until smooth.
- Heat the ** items to simmering (making spiced cream).
- Beat egg yolks with sugar until white and fluffy.
- Beat in the spiced cream and cook in a heavy pan
- very gentle heat, stir continuously until thick.
- Remove from heat; fold in prunes, brandy-soaked fruit and almonds.
- Leave to cool.
- Fold in softly whipped cream.
- Put in 2.5 pint basin and freeze.
Dedicated to my god daughter Lucy, whose mum introduced me to this recipe but lost the magazine it was in and rings me up frantically every year on Christmas Eve asking how to make it
Last updated - 9 September 1997
SPIG Home Page