CANDLERIGG STREET

Western Sugar House...
1667 ANDERSON William
1667 CALDWELL John
1667 CRAIG James
1667 CRAIG William
1667 CUMMINS Robert
1667 GEMMIL Peter
1667 GRAHAM John
1667 GRAHAM Richard
1667 HAMILTON Frederick
1667 STARK John
Candleriggs...
1777-99 PHILLIPS John

Close
GALLOWGATE

Eastern Sugar House...
1669-1709 PEDDIE James
1669-1709 CROSS John
1669 CROSS Robert
1669 BOGLE George
1669-1709 LUKE John
1709-36 BOGLE Robert
1736 GRAHAM John
1750-99 MacNAIR Robert
1750-79 HOLMES Jean
1787-99 MacNAIR James
1799> STRANG John
1799> WILSON Samuel
1799> McLEROY John
1799-14 PATERSON James (no.399)
1803, 1817-21 KIRKLAND, NEILSON & Co
1813-15 PATERSON Ronald & Co

Close
KING STREET

Little Sugar House...
1736 GORDON William
King's St Sugar Works...
1736 BUCHANAN Andrew
1736 COULTER John
1736 MONTGOMERY James
1736 MURDOCH Peter, sen & jun
1789 DIQUIDS John & Wm

Close
OSWALD STREET

Ann Street...
1832-54 McEWAN & Sons
1854> KIRKLAND John & Sons
<1864 BAIRD, PATERSON & BAIRD

Close
PORT DUNDAS ... Images

1851-69 MURDOCH & DODDRELL
Port-Dundas Sugar Refining Co...
1871-77 DODDRELL George J
1871-77 READMAN J

Close
STOCKWELL STREET

South Sugar Works...
1719 CAMPBELL Daniel
1736 ANDERSON James
1736 McDONAL William
1736 MILLIKEN James
1756 CLAUSSEN Casper
1789 BROWN Alexander

Close
WASHINGTON STREET

1825-32 McNAIR James (no.23)
1830-4 REID & PEARSON (no.18)
1830-8 KIRKLAND John & Sons
1832-3 McNAIR, HUTCHESON & Co
1833-7 KIRKLAND Kenneth Wm
1835-7 PEARSON Andrew (no.18)
1839-41 KIRKLAND, BORLAND & Co
1845 KIRKLAND John (no.25)
1847-9 WAINWRIGHT (no.25)
1849 WAINWRIGHT, MOSS & Co (no.62)
1850 ROBERTSON, PATRICK & Co
1852 HOYLE, MARTIN & Co (no.59) (built)
1864-77 JOHNSTON William (no.59

Close
HIGH JOHN STREET

1800-4 PHILLIPS John
1801-4 PHILLIPS Thomas (no.64)
1803, 1812-15 SPALDING John
1804-5 LOVE Hugh
1805-9 WILSON, STRANG & Co
1809-11 PHILLIPS John (no.64)
1811-16 PHILLIPS Thomas
1816-18 BELL

Close
ALSTON STREET
(now under Central Railway Station)

1803, 1809-28 WILSON & STRANG
1829-8 WILSON Samuel & Sons (no.71)
1850s-66 WILSON, TAYLOR & Co (no.71)
1866-68 WILSON, FINLAY & SPIERS

Close
BELL'S WYND

North Sugar House...
1778 (shown on old map)

Close
QUEEN ST

1799-1803 McNAIR James (no.48)
1804-7 McNAIR Robert & James
1809-21 McNAIR James (no.48)

Close
ARGYLL ST

1847 ROBSON & Co (nos.102&161)

Close
MILLER ST

1847 KIRKLAND John & Son (no.54)

Close
TRONGATE

1847 McEWAN William & Sons (no.121)

Close
VIRGINIA STREET

1829-36 McLEISH, KAYSER & Co (no.109)
1833 BALDERSTON David (no.23)
1837-50 MACFIE Robert (no.27)
1839-41 KIRKLAND, BORLAND & Co (no.53)
1842-4 KIRKLAND John & Sons (no.53)
1844-50 RICHARDSON & DENNISTON (brokers) (no.53)
... a huge number of Brokers and Merchants
had their offices in this street from 1840s onwards.

Close

GLASGOW

CLICK the for sugar houses in that street.

(For local directory of sugar houses, click here.)

(For national directory of sugar houses, click here.)

 

 

 

 

The width of this map represents 2.2ml / 3.5km.

1725 - Glasgow Fire Duties

Back to Locations Page

 

 

 

Refining Monopoly granted - 1619 ...

Patent to Mr Patrik Hamilton, Dominik Bowens merchant in London, and George Fentoun dwelling in the precinct of St Katherine's near London, and to their heirs and assignees, for the space of thirty one years after the date hereof, of the sole right of sugar refining within the kingdom of Scotland, with liberty to import all sorts of "basse sugaris" fit for refining, "as namelie Panceles, Stomas [S. Thomas], Muscavados, and the lyke," and to erect the necessary works, their imported and exported sugars to be free of custom duty for twenty one years to come, but in lieu thereof a yearly payment of 600 to be made by them to the royal exchequer. - Subscribed by the Chancellor, Mar, Wyntoun, Lotheane, Melros, Landirdaill, Privy Seal, Sir R Meluill, Sir G Murray.
[There's as yet no evidence that these 3 refined any sugar, which suggests that it was this monopoly, and maybe others, that delayed the start of refining in Scotland until 1667 - BM]

Extract from the 1619 Register of the Scottish Privy Council. (Volume 12, pages 91-2, in the British Library 1895 version)

 

HOME/DATABASE
SITE MAP