|John (3) was baptized at Arthuret
Parish Church (Longtown) on 26th December 1806 as John Blaycock.
He became head of the clockmaking business on the death of his father William (1) in 1832.
In association with the inventor Thomas Edmondson, he produced in large numbers railway ticket dating and printing presses. One of his ticket printing machines is in the Science Museum, London.
With William Pratchitt, John (3) formed the engineering and ironfounding firm of Blaylock & Pratchitt, Carlisle. This was in 1859. The centre of their production was the Long Island Ironworks, Carlisle where John (3) had built a large workshop in 1848.
By 1861 the firm of Blaylock & Pratchitt were described as Engineers, Millwrights, Machinists, Boiler Makers, Iron and Brass Founders.
From 1862 until 1873 John (3) was in partnership with William Dudson for his domestic clockmaking production. The father and brother of William Dudson were furniture dealers and my suspicions are that William Dudson supplied the cases for clocks signed "Blaylock & Dudson, Carlisle".
John (3) apparently took retirement in 1873 and he died in 1877.
Longcase Clock by John Blaylock (3) of Carlisle circa 1835
(Shown here prior to restoration)
Clock LC9 was made in what may be termed the final period of longcase clock development in England. Until recent times clocks made in this period have often been regarded as of little merit as it was considered their movements were mass produced in Birmingham factories. Close examination of these clocks however will cast considerable doubt on this theory.
Movement of LC9
It can be seen that the movement of clock LC9 follows traditional Blaylock construction methods. The strike arrangement is the same as that used on all previous eight day clocks going back to 1770 in Longtown. Two tapped holes are placed either side of the movement plates and the rack spring bearing on the front edge of the rack stem is identical to clock LC5 made in Longtown in 1803. Clearly this is a product of the Blaylock workshop.
Painted dials with a blue background to the arch and corners are unusual but when found are chiefly fitted on clocks made by Lake District makers. The falseplate is embossed "S. Wilke, BirMm". Matching brass hands, dial 13" wide.
or return to:-
04 June, 2003