SHOWMANS IV

 

FOWLER 8 nhp NO 93881

 LADY BETTY

 BUILT IN 1902 FOR YORKSHIRES,SMITHS TACCASTER BREWERY BOUGHT IN 1928 BY CHRIS JOHNSON OF WAKEFIELD AND RETURNED TO FOWLERS LEEDS WORKS FOR CONVERSION TO SHOWMANS AND GIVEN NAME OF LADY BETTY AFTER HIS WIFE.

IN THE LATE 1930s AT HULL FAIR BETTY JOHNSON WAS KILLED ON A TRAILER WHILST PULLED BY THE ENGINE IT NOW CARRIES A ST CHRISTOPHERS CROSS IN HER MEMORY. IN 1939 SHE WAS SENT TO A SCRAPYARD BUT WAS RESCUED BY BAKERS OF KELLINGTON AND CONVERTED BACK TO ROAD USE .HER WORKING LIFE ENDED IN 1963 BEING BOUGHT FOR PRESERVATION BY TOM VARLEY OF GISBURN YORKSHIRE . SHE HAS SINCE RETURNED TO HER SHOWMANS FORM AGAIN.

 

BURRELL 6 nhp NO3489

KING GEORGE VI

BUILT IN 1913 AND FIRST USED IN SHOWLAND BY LONDON SHOWMAN SWALES BOLESWORTH OWNERSHIP CHANGED AFTER THREE YEARS TO E ANDREWS JUNIOR OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS KENT.

IN THE LATE 1940s SHE WAS BOUGHT BY JACK WHARTON OF WITNEY OXFORDSHIRE WHO PRESERVED HER. SHE WAS TO BECOME THE FIRST SHOWMANS ENGINE TO ATTEND A STEAM ENGINE RALLY.

 

 BURRELL 8 nhp N03443

 LORD NELSON

BUILT IN 1913 FOR ANDERTON AND ROWLAND THE WEST COUNTRY SHOWMAN BASED IN BRISTOL USED BY THEM TILL 1940 THEN SOLD TO W COLES ALSO OF BRISTOL AFTER SEVERAL YEARS SHE WAS LAID UP AND STORED UNTIL BEING SAVED.

SINCE PRESERVATION SHE HAS HAD SEVERAL OWNERS INCLUDING THE NATIONAL MOTOR MUSEUM AT BEAULIEU HAMPSHIRE

 

BURRELL 8 nhp NO2668

BRITANNIA

BUILT IN 1904 NEW TO THURSTONS OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE SHE SERVED FIRST WITH THEIR BIOSCOPE SHOW THEN THE GALLOPERS AND IN 1920 WITH A SET OF VENITIAN GONDOLA SWITCH BACKS FINALLY FINISHING UP LIGHTING THE DODGEMS.

IN 1946 SOLD TO H GAMBLE OF WILLINGALE ESSEX THEN AGAIN SOON TO SHOWMAN ALBERT MANNING OF HERTS WHO SOLD HER INTO PRESERVATION IN 1953.

 

FOWLER 8 nhp NO15116

BERTHA

BUILT IN 1920

PRESENTLY ON DISPLAYAT LEVENS HALL CUMBRIA