Volk's Electric Railway (VER) is claimed to be the oldest operating electric railway in the world. It is a narrow-gauge railway that runs along a the seafront of the English seaside resort of Brighton. It was built by Magnus Volk, with the first section being completed in 1883.
Today the line runs between terminal stations at Aquarium and Black Rock with an intermediate station and depot at Paston Place.
In 1938 the Brighton Corporation took control of the line. It was closed during the Second World War, then reopened in 1948. Winter operation has ceased since 1954. 2-car multiple operation was introduced in 1964.
In 1995 the Volk's Electric Railway Association was formed to help preserve the line.