RAF East Kirkby opened on the 20th August 1943 as a Bomber Command Station and is situated in Lincolnshire (not far from RAF Coningsby).
Stationed at East Kirkby were:
The last raid from East Kirkby was flown on 25 April 1945. In total, 212 operations were carried out from this airfield from which 121 Lancasters failed to return. Another 29 were lost in operational crashes/accidents. 630 Squadron disbanded in July that year and its place was taken by 460 Squadron (Australian) from Binbrook. This squadron joined 57 for transfer to the Far East as part of Tiger Force but the dropping of the atomic bombs expedited Japan's surrender.
The station closed in 1958 and is now home to an air museum, Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre, run by two Lincolnshire farmers the Panton Brothers, whose prize exhibit is the Lancaster Bomber "Just Jane". Now fully restored, in memory of their brother who was killed on a Bomber Command mission. Just Jane has a taxi licence and makes frequent runs for visitors.
The control tower is believed to be haunted.
A memorial to the fallen can be found outside the main gate where the guard house once stood.