The Royal Air Force
satellite at Forres was constructed at Balnageith in 1940. The Whitleys of No 19
Operational Training Unit RAF Kinloss used this site until late 1944 and during that
period trained thousands of aircrew for Bomber Command.
This cairn was erected in
memory of the airmen and airwomen who served here and especially those who gave their
lives while flying from Forres.
The cairn also
commemorates the presence of the Polish Army forces who were billeted on the site between
1945 and 1947.
"We were but warriors
of the working day"