19 OTU Title

About the (Former) Association

Connect to the Site Map

Formed on the 1st May 1996 (As result of an idea by Elgin based Aviation Historian, Jim Hughes.) Dedicated to raising a memorial to all who trained or served in any capacity with No 19 Operational training Unit at RAF Forres the Satellite of RAF Kinloss, and to members of the Polish forces who occupied the accommodation following the cessation of hostilities.
The aerodrome was used by No 19 OTU for final training before crews passed into operational service, principally with the squadrons of No 4 Group Bomber Command. Equipped with twin -engine Whitley aircraft the advanced training flights of the OTU used the site from late 1940 until early 1945. It was one of the most active satellites in the bomber Command Training organisation.
Although formally identified as a satellite located at Forres, the association included Balnageith in its title because the farm of that name provided the greater part of the aerodrome, although two other farms were affected by the land requisition, Balnageith was also the name used initially by 19 OTU and by which it is widely known in the locality today.
The support of local business and individuals who have given freely of materials, time and skills, together with generous responses to fund raising appeals from so many at home and overseas, has enabled the association to achieve its aim in such a remarkably short space of time. (Bill Jacobs, May 1997)
The Association Members (Alphabetic order)
Gp Capt Phil Dacre RAF (ret'd)
Franny Duncan
Forbes Grant (Treasurer)
Ron Grant (Sadly missed Brother of Forbes)
Ken Greene
Jim Hughes (Secretary)
Sqn Ldr Bill Jacobs RAF (ret'd) (Chairman)
Cllr Robbie Laing JP (No longer with the Council - 1999)
John Mackenzie
David Morgan (Vice Chairman)
Jim Noble of the Park Hotel - (Jim passed away late summer 1999, sadly missed.)
Ian Ross
Paul Warrener
Fred Watson
Flt Lt Ian Wright RAF (No longer at RAF Kinloss)
WO Eddie Yeaman RAF
David Younie - (Sadly, David died summer 1998, very much missed.)

The Association as such was dissolved after the cairn was completed. Since then there has been much work done by a retired local Nursery Owner, Mr D Williamson, who was instrumental in re-landscaping the base of the cairn. (Despite the efforts of the local rabbit community.) Robbie Laing, since leaving the council has built a wooden seat by the cairn, with wood from local resources. As you will see from the news page, tributes are laid every year to former members of the unit. The webmaster passes the cairn a great deal, retrieves any of the wreaths that suffer as result of the winter gales and remains the point of contact for the former Association.

Connect to Frames | Sitemap | Šopyright Information