Walter Gilbourne


ca Nov 1893, Eastwood, Notts

Father: James GILBOURNE (1849-ca1913)
Mother: Catherine HATTON (ca1853-ca1938)
Spouse: Unmarried
Death: 16 Jul 1916 Southampton, Hants.


Walter GilbourneWalter Gilbourne was the second of three sons of Catherine and James to be killed at war, following the death of James jr. in 1902 in the Boer War. James snr of course had died before the Great war started.

Walter attested for 2/5th Batt Notts & Derbyshire Reg't. 29 Mar 1915 at Derby, having been in the Territorials for 4 years. His number was  4230.  He left Southampton 10 Nov 1915, landed at Rouen next day, and joined his unit in the field on 14 Nov 1915.
He was treated in the field for axilla [armpit] abscess and multiple sores 20 Feb 1916  and  rejoined the unit 18 Mar 1916.   He was wounded slightly 14 Apr 1916, but remained on duty. Received gunshot wounds to shoulder and face 3 Jul 1916, and transferred back to England 5th July.  He died in the University Hospital, Southampton, of gunshot wounds to the chest 16th July. Walter was serving in the 1st/5th Bn., Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment). His death was registered in Southampton before being brought back to Brinsley for burial. There is a plaque to the memory of Walter and William, who was to die in 1920, inside St. James' Church Brinsley.

Walter was a witness at his brother Samuel's wedding 1st October 1914, and is commemorated on the Eastwood War Memorial

I would like to thank Carol and Martyn of the Jacksdale Heritage project for sending me this article from the Eastwood and Kimberley Advertiser and the picture of his gravestone.  Thanks go to Rita Restorick for the newspaper photo above.



The sad news reached Eastwood, and was received with much regret on Monday, that Pte. Walter Gilbourne, son of Mrs. James Gilbourne, of Nethergreen, had died in Southampton Hospital from wounds received in action on July 1st.  In response to a telegram from the War Office bearing the news that her son was dangerously wounded, Mrs Gilbourne went to Southampton on Monday, and remained in constant attendance at the hospital.  Bright and cheerful to the last, though suffering great pain from severe shrapnel wounds in the chest, the brave fellow, with some difficulty told his mother how he had lain on the battle field following his accident for 48 hours in a half-naked condition.  On Sunday morning – exactly a fortnight after he was wounded – he collapsed and passed away in his mother’s arms.
Deceased enlisted on March 27th, 1915, and on November 10th, the date of his 22nd birthday, sailed for France.
Mrs Gilbourne lost a son in the South African campaign, and in this further sacrifice which she has been called upon to make, she will have the fullest sympathy of all.
The body, having been conveyed to Eastwood overnight, was laid to rest in the Churchyard at Brinsley on Wednesday afternoon with military honours.  A full military funeral was not possible, no gun carriage being procurable for the conveyance of the coffin, and no firing party, but a bearer party of Notts. and Derbys. with buglers from Normanton Barracks was in attendance, and with local units associated a fitting tribute was paid to the departed hero.
The cortege was headed with bandsmen of Brinsley Church and Cadet Brass Bands, and following behind were a number of wounded soldiers from the local V.A.D. Hospital doing honours to their departed comrade, and the Cadet Corps, Lads’ Brigade, and Bugle Band, and Robin Hood Scouts (under Sergt. Spears, in the unavoidable absence of Captain Chambers).  At Old Brinsley members of the Loyal Covenant Lodge, of which deceased was a member, joined the procession.
As the cortege moved forward from the house at Nethergreen the band played the Dead March, and the progress was watched by hundreds of people.  Arriving at the Church gates, where another dense crowd had gathered, the military lined up on either side of the road, and the mourners were met by the Revs. P. Page and F. W. Cobb and robed choir.  The first portion of the service was conducted in Church, the coffin, covered with the Union Jack and surmounted with several beautiful tributes, being deposited in the aisle.   The 90th Psalm was chanted, followed by the reading of St Paul’s Epistle to the Corinthians on immortality, by the Rev. F. W. Cobb, and appropriate prayers by the Vicar.  At the conclusion the organist (Mr. E. F. Whitehead) played the Dead March.  The approaches to the graveside were lined by the military, and the last solemn rites were witnessed by a tremendous but reverent crowd.  Over the grave the choir sang “Jesu, Lover of my soul,” and a solemn service was concluded by the sounding of the “Last Post”.


GRO Birth Index: Basford Dec 1893 7b 147  
GRO Death Index: Southampton Sep 1916 2c 10  
1901 Census: Mansfield Rd., Nethergreen, Notts. RG13/3144/158/108
1911 Census: 25 Nether Green, Eastwood, Notts.  


  Family Tree   Top  


Valid XHTML 1.1