acquired by the Woodland Trust, following a successful fund raising effort in the locality. Facing us as we reach Longford we find Cwrt Rhydhir (Longford Court), originally a grange or farm of Neath Abbey. After the Dissolution it had been occupied by the Cradocks and later by Dr. Plumb, manager of the Mines Royal Copper Works. Eventually it was demolished and replaced by flats which, since 1979 has become a residential home run by the South Wales Autistic Society.
Walking from Glynfelin Lodge (the Roundhouse) in the direction of Neath Abbey we reach Coed Bach - a steep, wooded gorge which the Community Council leases from the Borough Council and is maintained by a group of local volunteers. Re-tracing our steps towards Longford Court provides us with an excellent view of the Roundhouse with its thatched roof. It had a thatched roof supported by wooden pillars all around its white stone walls resembling in shape a South African Zulu hut or kraal. According to the deeds of ancient Glynfelin Farm to its rear it is about three hundreds years old, possibly having been erected in 1687. In recent times the Roundhouse has served as a gamekeeper's cottage for the Gibbins family of the Glynfelin estate.
railway taking coal from Dyffryn and Bryncoch to Skewen Wharf via Skewen incline. It leads to Penshannel where we come to what is known locally as "the Piggery". In a dilapidated state now, it was a circular Pig House and is said to have still been in use some thirty years ago. Only a few of these circular pig sties are to be found in Wales - about ten in West Glamorgan.