While so much had been accomplished by the Bowdon Society, the parent church in Chapel Walk had not been standing still. Every year it became stronger and more active, and in the sixties the members seriously began to consider the question of the erection of a larger chapel. To a proposal to build a chapel in Bank Street, liberal aid was forthcoming not only from the Wesleyans themselves, but from prominent members of the Church of England, who saw much to admire in the progressive work of eighty years, and recognised in the undertaking an appropriate memorial in whose provision they might rightly share. So warmly was the scheme supported that the foundation stones were laid on the 22nd March, 1865, and the opening services were conducted on the 10th May, 1866.
The chapel was built from the designs of Mr. C. O. Ellison, of Liverpool, in the Byzantine style of architecture, with a bold frontage to Bank Street, or, as it is now called, Woodlands Road. The structure is of freestone, and the effect of the design is heightened by a campanile at one of the angles. Accommodation is found on the ground floor for 600 worshippers, and in a gallery across the south end of the building for 260.
The organ in the old chapel in Chapel Walk was removed to the new chapel and re-erected in the gallery. This work, with such additions and improvements as were found to be necessary, involved an expenditure of over £100, which was raised by the late Mr. John Balshaw, who, for nearly forty years, acted as organist. The total cost of the chapel exceeded £5,000. A lecture hall adjoining the chapel was built in 1887. The cost of the hall was about £1,000, thus bringing up the total cost of the premises to £6,000. Extensive alterations were made in 1891, and a new organ, built by Messrs. Brindley and Foster, Sheffield, was provided at a cost of £600.
The old Wesleyan Chapel. was disposed of to the members of the Congregational Church and services were commenced there in 1868 by the Rev. Charles Aylard. On the transfer of the church to the British School, the services were discontinued and the chapel was purchased by Mr. I. H. Grafton, Overdale, Dunham Massey, by whom it was presented to the Church of England.
The building was demolished when Woodlands Road was widened.
Note that Thomas Balshaw printed the circuit plan for 1838-9 and that John Balshaw printed for 1870/1. Note also that J Pearson is a local preacher on the 1870/1 plan and that he lived (?) at Sinderland, which is between Broadheath and Partington. Perhaps he was Susannah's father, John Pearson.
1st Circuit Plan for Altrincham, 1838 and Circuit Plan for Altrincham, 1870
See also an extract from The story of Timperley Methodism.