Altrincham was a place of textile manufacture. "Not so long ago it stood in an agricultural district and became a cotton producing town. Later it became a centre for light industry." Henry Howard (Ann's father) was a Cotton Spinner.
Church St was the old Manchester to Chester Road. St George's church stands in Church St.
Bank St. Methodist Church opened 10 May 1866. We know that John Balshaw raised £100 towards the organ and that he was the organist for nearly 40 years. In the 1860s an organ with one manual + pedals typically cost about £100. One with two manuals and pedals cost about £200 to £350.
The town in 1800, notes from recollections of John Riddiough Balshaw.
Notes about John Riddiough Balshaw's business in 1897, notes and about Balshaw and Sons.